Get your church involved
Join a growing movement of churches taking action with the money they steward to shape a fairer, more sustainable world.
You probably think carefully about the money that you give away. Do you give as much attention to where you bank, the businesses you buy from or what you invest in? All these decisions have an impact on the world.
Our Money Makes Change resources equip you to transform the conversations you have about money in church and take practical action.
Contact us if you’d like help in getting your church involved. We can provide a speaker, help you facilitate a workshop or simply talk through some ideas.
NEW: Analysis of ethical bank accounts for churches
We’ve updated our ethical banking resource for churches. Download it here and explore 5 of the more ethical options. Looking at where you bank is a good place to start if you want to help shape a fairer, more sustainable world.
Click on a button below to find out more about our church resources or scroll down for action ideas
There are lots of steps your church can take to help shape a fairer, more sustainable world.
Who does your church bank with? What do you know about the bank’s values and practices?
- Use our analysis of ethical church bank accounts to help you choose a more ethical bank.
- Use the Switch It tool or Bank.Green website to see if your bank is financing the fossil fuel industry. Find out if your bank invests in nuclear weapons.
- Encourage members of your congregation to look at where they bank and see if it aligns with their values.
- Share our ethical banking article in your church newsletter.
Open up conversations in your church and help people connect faith, money and ethical issues.
- Use our interactive workshop and Bible studies to explore how the choices we make around money and how we hold businesses to account can change the world for the better.
- Run an all-age Messy Money session, developed in partnership with Messy Church.
- Explore ideas in our Learning and Sharing action guide.
- Invite an ECCR staff member or volunteer to speak, preach or facilitate a workshop. Get in touch via our Contact Us page.
Think carefully about the impact of the money you spend as a church. Choose ethical products and do your research on the companies you buy from. Use your spending power to call for a fairer world.
- Do you have an ethical purchasing policy? Read how Trinity church developed theirs. Get in touch if you’d like help in developing your own.
- Ask questions before buying from a new supplier. Do they have the Fair Tax Mark? Do they pay the Living Wage?
- Use research and ratings from Ethical Consumer or the Good Shopping Guide to make decisions around your purchases.
- Become a Fairtrade church.
- Explore further ideas in our Spending Power Action guide.
Does your church have any investments? Even if you don’t, you may have members of your congregation who do. Anyone who has a pension is an investor!
- Use our interactive workshop to explore ethical investments and pensions, and help people connect their faith and their finances.
- Looking to develop an ethical investment policy? We can’t offer financial advice but we can help your congregation understand different approaches to ethical investment and identify the issues that are important to you. Get in touch if you’d like help with this.
- Find out more about your denomination’s investment policies.
- Divest from fossil fuels through Operation Noah’s Bright Now campaign.
- Share our ethical investment article in your church newsletter.
- If you don’t have investments, your church may have other resources you could put to use for the common good. Explore further ideas in our Where your treasure is Action guide.
The Money Makes Change Pledge is our toolkit for churches, to help you connect faith, money and ethics.
- Use our Money Makes Change Pledge toolkit to reflect on what you are already doing and identify your next steps.
- Choose up to 4 actions that are relevant to your church and commit to action with the Money Makes Change Pledge.
- There are free Ethical Consumer subscriptions available to the first few churches who make a Pledge (and discounted subscriptions for everyone else), so get your church involved today!
There are lots of ways you can use your voice as a church to engage with those in power, hold businesses to account and share your vision of a fairer, more sustainable world.
- Use our interactive workshop resource to explore ways you can make change happen.
- Get involved in the campaign for Tax Justice with our sister programme, Church Action for Tax Justice.
- Engage with businesses, locally and nationally, around ethical issues like fair pay, plastic packaging and action on climate change.
- Join the campaign for local councils to divest their pension funds from fossil fuel investments. Find your local campaign group.
- Speak out with Citizens UK for businesses to pay a real Living Wage.
- Explore further ideas in our Speaking Out action guide.