Fair Tax Now Campaign
This campaign highlights how our national and global tax systems are
This campaign highlights how our national and global tax systems are unfair. It also suggests how they could be redesigned to achieve a fairer, more just, outcome for all.
What do we
A change in the public story about tax so that we champion fair taxation in the same way we champion climate justice. As Dr Rowan Williams said, ‘A society’s levels of progressive and redistributive taxation should be a matter of pride not anxiety.’ More details can be found in our Fair Tax Now report
- Tax income equally – combine income tax, National Insurance and capital gains tax into a single progressive tax with a single allowance.
- Reform council tax – replace it either with a proportionate property tax or a land value tax.
- Tax wealth effectively – a net wealth tax could exclude pensions and people’s main homes, but tax wealth above a threshold of £1 million.
- Stop the dodging – tighten the legislation to close the loopholes and in particular properly resource HMRC and Companies House so they are able to enforce those rules.
- Fairer global tax rules – prioritise the needs of lower income countries in the global tax negotiations that are taking place.